A Walk Through A Slide
On my third slide, I featured a picture of the Twitter logo. I chose this picture because I was discussing Twitter and how, as a structure, it is essentially a huge collective narrative. At the time, I thought that choosing the logo as the image to display was a simple, natural choice. I was mentioning Twitter, so what else could go better with that then the very image of Twitter itself? Upon looking back on it, however, I wish I had chosen a different image. As previously mentioned, at the time it made sense because it seemed logical, but having learned more about the Pecha Kucha style and having seen my classmates’ work, I think I may have chosen too simple of a connection.
I was pleased with the narrative of the slide itself. I feel that Twitter is often overlooked as a form of collaboration because it could be seen as potentially very self-centered. Thousands of people constantly posting little blurbs about their life at face value seems uninteresting and maybe even useless. If you take a step back, though, and look at the collection of tweets as a whole, what is really happening is that all of Twitter’s users are creating a huge, collective narrative by both posting about themselves and interacting with others. They are forging connections and creating trends and participating in a huge, globally-scaled co-authorship of culture.
This is precisely why I chose the quote “Only 40% of the Web is commercial,” which comes from an article by Kevin Kelly entitled We Are The Web. While it is not a particularly eloquent or moving quote, it provides a highly interesting and relevant statistic. If only 40% of the Web is created for commercial purposes, that means that the other 60%- more than half of the entire Web, is user-created content, such as blogs, and tweets, and all other kinds of creations. Together, as writers and students and professors, and everyone in between, we are creating a huge, collective narrative, that may not be obvious at first glance. I felt that pointing this out was necessary within my presentation, because the ways in which Web 2.0 and co-authorship may not be as obvious at first glance, but they are absolutely worth noting.
What I Learned About My Blog Topic
During this module, my group and I covered the topic of “co-authorship and collaboration within Web 2.0”. At first, I was nervous, even though we had chosen the topic ourselves. Although, after a few of the readings, and finding outside sources on my own, that began to change. I started to see how incredibly relevant this topic was to my field of study. Even though I may have dropped my writing major, I still consider myself a writer, and I had never truly stopped to consider exactly how the developments of the Internet might have affected my writing or the writing of others.
Within the readings and videos we covered within class, one video entitled “Identity 2.0” by Dick Hardt stuck out rather vividly to me. While most of the things Hardt discusses within the video are fairly technical, it caused me to truly think about how the things we create either online or offline contribute to our identities, both as writers and as people. I found in my musings that this gets incredibly tricky when collaboration comes into the mix. What part of the creation identifies you? Only the parts you made? Or the pieces as a whole?
After all of this blogging and reading, I feel I have a much better grasp on not only the benefits available to me through Web 2.0, but also how these changes will potentially affect my career and the careers of others. Collaboration is a big part of both the writing and the art world nowadays, and I believe myself to be a member in both of those worlds, so it is critically important for me to understand their growing trends and changes if I am to keep up.
In my attempts to do so, I also discovered a blog post by Pam Perry entitled “Book Publishing ‘Then’ and ‘Now’”, in which Perry compares “Old School” publishing, practices of the past to “New School” practices of Web 2.0. She discusses things like ebooks and email marketing campaigns, and streaming live online. All of these tools which she describes as “New School” are critically important within the writing world, and it is thanks to tools like these that we are able to connect with countless other writers and readers across the world.
Within this class, I attempted to explore this topic to the best of my ability, and I feel that I have learned a great deal, both about co-authorship and about writing in general. It is my opinion that this research has been greatly beneficial to me, and I will keep and consider the things I learned as I continue on my career as both a writer and artist.